Buy & Sell
At Progressive Livestock the procedure for buying and selling livestock is robust and straight-forward.
What we do
When buying dairy livestock with us, your Progressive Livestock agent will be working hard for you.
Prior to Purchase
- Source and identify cows of suitable breed, quality and price.
- Provide a review of herd history including breeding and production, feeding regimes, stocking rates and length of walks to shed.
- Obtain previous years herd tests to confirm production and cell counts, including those for cows that may have been introduced to the herd after the previous lactation.
- Ensure all herd information, profiles, herd tests, scanning and calving information is available for assessment prior to selection day.
- Negotiate the terms of sale on your behalf and prepare a robust sale and purchase contract.
On Selection Day
- Facilitate the viewing of cows.
- Ensure that only cows that fit the contract criteria are present and challenge any cows that do not fit the criteria.
- Accurately record all selected cows. This means comparing the cows offered for selection with the original herd information to ensure there are no anomalies.
After Selection Day
- Monitor the cows at regular intervals to ensure the conditions of the contract are being met. Plan transport to ensure the purchasers contractual obligations are met.
- Facilitate a pre-delivery inspection to check the condition and soundness of the cows and obtain all scanning certificates and Lepto certificates.
- Organise independent assessments of condition and soundness when there may be disagreement.
- Check delivered tallies with charged tallies.
Selling dairy livestock with us
WHAT WE DO
PRIOR TO SALE
As a vendor’s agent we will prepare herd information and records into a form that can be presented to the market for sale. With this information we actively seek potential purchasers through all dairy industry networks. We negotiate the terms of sale on the vendor’s behalf and prepare a robust sale and purchase contract.
ON SELECTION DAY
- Ensure all herd records are up-to-date and only cows that meet contract conditions are presented for selection.
- Accurately record all cows selected on the day.
AFTER SELECTION DAY
- Regularly monitor cow condition until delivered to the purchaser to ensure the terms of the contract are being met.
- Receive and forward all herd tests, scanning results and calving information on to the purchaser.
- Ensure all pregnancy and Lepto certificates are provided to the purchaser.
- Communicate to the purchaser’s agent any health issues that affect the herd prior to delivery.
- Accurately record the cows that leave the property on departure day.
We believe in being accountable to our clients and that means being upfront and transparent about the way we do business.
We help our clients make sound decisions by sourcing the very best livestock. Our marketing of livestock is second to none, we use our extensive nationwide network to achieve the best possible results.
We also assist with advance planning and budgeting for all possible scenarios.
Looking for a Livestock Agent?
Our agents are professional and come to you.